Thursday, July 10, 2008

Homeward Bound: CPH -> LHR(for a long time!) -> ORD -> SEA (50 Hours Of Traveling, Baby!)

Started off the day checking out of our "5-star" hostel: The Dan Hostel @ Copenhagen City. Asia and Katie headed out earlier to explore more of Denmark with family. I left Ari and Jeremy (they wanted to see more of Copenhagen), to head to the airport to see if I could work any magic and get out of my extremely long trip back home (a whopping 35 hrs with an overnight layover in London). Let's see if my my "eyelash batting" can be put to use! ;)

Well, in a nutshell....I wasn't able to finagle anything! Couldn't do anything in Copenhagen, so spent about 5hrs at that airport. When I pulled into Heathrow, there were no more flights to Chicago, so I was doomed to hang out in London. Well, it wasn't that dire. I made an evening of it.

I ended up taking the Picadilly Tube to the Holborn station, and went to the British musuem (I went to the British Museum on one of the first days of my trip, but I wasn't able to take any pictures of the truly amazing building, because my camera battery was dead! So, I made a trip here just so I could snap some pics).




While taking the Tube in, I saw that there was a Brazilian band and samba lessons and DJ at a Brazilian club near the Holborn station. So, after the British museum, grabbed a bite (Subway), and then went to the club, Guanabara.

What a place. If you like all things Brazil, like me, you'd be in wanderlust here. This place is huge. They have a juice bar downstairs, as well as a listening stations for Brazilian albums, and they also sell Brazilian CDs as well. Up a few flights of stairs you enter the bar/eating area/dancefloor/stage. Man, this place was hoppin! I got there before 9pm, so there was no



cover. A DJ was spinning some chill Brazilian tunes and people were chillin to the Brazilian vibe. Shortly afterwards, three women took to the stage and started teaching the crowd some basic samba moves. At one point the DJ played a song w/ straight-samba-drums, and one of the instructors totally jammed. She moved her booty and legs so fast and to the beat--it was amazing.

The 8-piece band, Mandinga then hit the stage. They were pretty cool, and played some cool covers ranging from (The Pink Panther theme song, to Bob Marley's Could You Be Loved, to Stevie Wonder's Master Blaster). They got the crowd jammin--no doubt. I admired from afar; at one point with a fruity caiparinha in hand.




At around 11pm I split,and then went to catch a train to head back to my lodging for the night: The Heathrow Airport's tiled floor. Made it to Heathrow around midnight. This is where I stay until my 7:55am flight--oh fun!Arriving at Heathrow Around Midnight

I ended up not getting too much sleep at Heathrow. I got on a computer for a couple of hours (and wrote the bulk of this blog entry), and then after that I joined the rest of the zombies and walked the hallways of Heathrow looking for a place to crash--finding a nice couch was hard! I ended up finding a nice couch (w/ no pesky arm rests to prevent laying down) eventually. I laid down and tried sleeping, but to no avail. I ended up being too cold! I busted out a newspaper and tried to totally "hobo"---used one section of newspaper as a "blanket", and laid another section on my head. It wasn't enough though. I just couldn't sleep.

So, I slept-walked a bit more. I eventually found a carpeted floor upstairs in this remote section of the airport. It was almost 5am. I laid out for a bit, but then an employee showed up, "Are you waiting for me?"

"Huuuuuh", I mumbled, and then went on my way. By this time, the ticket counter was open, so I went and got my ticket. Boarded my plane later, watched the movie 21 while traveling over the Atlantic and kept traveling home. It was nice to be back in the NW.
Seatac Airport: Home!!

My bro picked me up from SeaTac, and we caught up a bit. I was hella-tired, but I wanted to hang. We went to one of our haunts in Edmonds, Rory's and had some beer and ribs **yum!!**
So much happened since that one night when I was at my brother's and I had all my crap laid out in my room. I had no idea what I was going to be in for. That mystery is always a good feeling. It can be addicting. I just had an awesome adventure, but it's always good to come home!

....until the next adventure.




1 comment:

Hard to Explain said...

"Until the next adventure." I like that. It's a really good ending to your blog and hopefully not to your years of travel!

P.S. I slept at the baggage claim at SFO and that wasn't bad!