Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Christiana, and Last Day In Copenhagen


Our last day consisted of me trying to get over my cold...apparently the stuff I took yesterday worked cuz I was feeling much better. Cheers to the quickest cold in history!

We started off the day by heading to an area of Copenhagen known as Christiana. This is an old military barracks which was occupied by some "free-thinking" people decades ago with the hopes of making some sort of hippie utopia. Sounds good, right? This was our destination.



I had thoughts of tons of hippies and women wearing flower crowns, and all that happy, happy, joy, joyness. From what I saw it looked more like a weed haven. You weren't allowed to take pictures, and it was somewhat depressing-looking. It was different though, and in that respect it was nice to experience. Hey, where else can you get hemp beer?




After Christiana we headed back toward Nyhavn, and walked along the canal and all the cool scenery. We'd had a long day, so after all the walking we headed back to the hostel and hung out a bit.



Jeremy/Ari went and checked out a place that wifi access (it also happened to be a pub!). This was a pub across the canal from our hostel. I was on a different mission: to snag a City Bike. These are bikes which are chained throughout the city and are basically FREE to ride. You put in 20 Kroner into a slot and the lock comes off, you ride till your heart's content, find a designated spot to chain the bike, chain bike and watch your 20 Kroner fall back out of the slot. What a cool deal! Unfortunately, it was the peak of tourist season, so these bikes were a bit hard to come by. I walked all over the city to find one, but had no luck, but as I arrived back at our hostel, there was a bike right in front of our hostel! I snagged it and rode across the bridge to Jeremy, Ari, and also Katie. They were hanging outside the pub: Cafe Langebro. I showed them my new ride.


The bikes are alright, definitely not something one would want to climb L'Alpe d' Huez. The tires are solid rubber, and the wheels are solid (vs. spoked), and for some reason the bike was a bit hard to handle....I wonder why?! It didn't matter though, it was nice to have wheels, and to do more exploring.




I wasn't too brave. I basically cruised around places with low car traffic. I ended up driving out to the Little Mermaid again, and snapped a few more pics. I then just rode around the city a bit, and got a bit of a workout. I wish we rode bikes more. You can definitely cover more ground---oh well, next time! :)



After the bike ride, we all hung out at the hostel one last time. This was the last "real night" of our trip for Ari, Jeremy, and myself. We went out on the town a little. We went to Cafe Langebro, and had a pint and hung out for a while. We also went and checked out a jazz show which was outside along the canal. I can't remember the name of the singer, but she sang some very good music to watch a sunset to.

We then went back over the canal and headed to Rädhuspladsen, which is basically a big open square downtown. There are some buildings swarmed w/ all sorts of neon (think Times Square).


While in this square we had one of those "W.T.F" moments. We happened upon a crowd of people. We were wondering what they were checkin out--street performers can always be fun to check out. As we approached the crowd we were caught by surprise by what we saw: a pair of dudes dressed up in Native regalia dancing around w/ flutes, and with New-Age-y music in the background! Ari was able to determine that the music they were "dancing" to was the soundtrack to the movie Last of the Mohicans. I personally didn't know what to feel. Ari wanted to ask them what tribe they were. Why were they out here dancing like monkeys with a cup in their hand. I guess people have to make a living, but this just felt wrong. There were a few drunk Danes who were dancing to their own beat (and looked just about as good as these two "performers"). It felt like watching a car wreck. After I pushed my mouth back up (from being open-mouthed in amazement and confusion), we ended up splitting and not wasting our time trying to figure out what the deal was---only in Copenhagen!


No comments: