Sunday, June 29, 2008

In London: "OLEE! OLE! OLE! OLEE! VIVA ESPAGNA!"

(June 29, 2008)


Spent the evening in London for a layover for my King's Cross area. Met a couple of fellow "north-west-ers"; actually they were from Vancouver, BC. They had been to Barcelona and filled me in on a little bit of their experience there.




Ventured out to try and do something before the night was up. Took the Underground to Picadilly Circus. Thought of seeing a show, but most were closed on Sunday. Visiting the British Museum didn't pan--also closed. Decided to quickly down a falafel (it was alright), and then went to see trip to Barcelona. Stayed at a hostel (Ashlee House) near northern London's Audrey Tautou's new movie, Priceless. Thought I'd have a pretty mellow evening, but as I headed back to the Picadilly Station I came across throngs of people (and cops).

Spain defeated Germany in the Euro Cup Futbol final: 1 - 0. The Picadilly Circus fountain was bathed in yellow & red (colors of Spain's flag). All kinds of Spanish futbol cheers and songs filled the area. The crowd eventually moved from Picadilly Circus/square down to a statue at the corner of another building a block down the street. Here a few dozen people climbed on the statues of horses and partied some more.

I ended up spending about an hour watching the partying and chaos. I ended up missing my ride on the Tube--closed at midnight (it was ok, I didn't mind walking through London). But, tonight, Picadilly Circus was Spain for a few hours.

No comments: