Friday, June 20, 2008

A Long Day (cont): A Day In London & Bussing Up To Inverness, Scotland

(June 19-20, 2008)


Arrived at Heathrow around noon. Heathrow just seemed huge from the get-go. There are tons of hallways, stairs, caverns, booby traps, etc.---it was a little intimidating at first. The signage could have been a little better, but I was eventually able to find my way to my bag (managed to hear one person say "worst f!*&-in' airport in the world"---I didn't think it was that bad).

Bought an all-day ticket for the Underground and took it to Victoria Station--this is where my bus would be departing at midnight tonight. I have to say, there have been stunning looking females walking around, at the airport, and in the Underground--London's giving me a nice first impression. What can I say though, I'm coming from the deserty boonies of south central Washington state! I seem to always have this "country mouse/city mouse" effect going whenever I go to big cities: eyes wide open, mouth wide open, and in a trance. I was immediately knocked to my senses as soon as my first Underground train approached, "Mind The Gap!" Had to snap a picture of the Hammersmith Station (remember Hammersmith being mentioned at the beginning of an old Public Enemy song, and I always wondered where the heck that was).

Victoria Station is pretty cool. I was amazed to actually recognize the place: This is where Matt Damon evades a grip of people in the Bourne Supremacy. Walked to the bus station dropped my bags off, and had my first meal---went to a hole in the wall falafel joint (falafels were yummy--very spicy---I like!). I was now set to explore.

Victoria Station is fairly close to Buckingham Palace--I've obviously heard of that place, so I carried on toward it. There were tons of "terrorists"...err...tourists here. I did the "in-thing" and snapped a few bloody pictures **sorry, I like picking up accents & lingo in new places** :)

I really liked the fountain/monument in front of Buckingham: Queen Victoria Monument. I should add that the weather was excellent. It was definitely good weather to hang out by a fountain in, or to hang out at a park.

Next up was the adjacent St. James Park. Like I said, it was nice out, so I plopped down on a piece of grass and did some journal-writing, and mapped out what was next. Since I could see the London Eye in the distance, I reckoned I'd head toward the Eye and the River Thames.

I love big cities if for only the diversity of people. I haven't talked to many people up to this point in my walk, but have quietly listened in on people--English accents, Russian, and other tongues I couldn't recognize. On the Underground (aka Tube) ride into London, the train was invaded by a thron of screaming French school kids at Earl's Court Station---very cool.


On the way to the Eye, I was surprised to come across Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament--they literally surprised me when I turned a corner! So, cool to see all of these places I'd only seen in books, TV or in the movies in such a quick succession. Apparently, what I was now walking is the Jubilee Trail---this is a path which runs along the Thames and offers tons of cool views of the cityline.
As I walked past the eye there were a few street performers out. I checked out an Australian chap for a few minutes--he was mainly a juggler, but he also heckled passersby. Also passed someone doing a hella low limbo and another person seein' "We Jammin'".

to make it far enough down river to see (& cross) the London Bridge. Unfortunately, this is when I started falling apart. I was getting very tired, and my camera battery started dying as well (also had to go to the loo!). FirstContinued down the Trail and checked more of the city. I wanted things first---I went to a cafe. I had my first European espresso, and a gelati (yum!)--and of course visited the little boys room.

After this I walked a few more alley ways and the path along the river and figured out a way to make it streetside to cross the London Bridge. I snapped as many pictures as I could, but my camera died halfway across the bridge--so no more London pictures today! :(

I was still tired after a few hours of break-neck speed walking, so I looked for the nearest Tube station---I also wanted to get familiar w/ how to ride the Tube as well. I was ready to slowly start heading back to the Bus Station. So my plan was to hit the British Museum next.

A Foggy Day (sung by Billie Holiday)
...I viewed the morning, with much alarm
The British Museum, had lost its charm...

I wanted to go to this museum only because I've heard Billie sing it for years. It was early evening, so I wasn't sure what I'd get to see. I was surprised by a few things: the museum was open, and it was free. It was also such a beautiful structure. The big central room is such a breath-taking area--classical architecture with a glass roof, and it's all open and massive. I need to come back here...they were closing.

Hopped back on the Tube and went to Picadilly Circus. Went and sat at the fountain in the square here and people watched for a while. Pretty lively place. I didn't know you could drink out in public--I saw it here. Saw a show or two I'd like to catch here on one of my next layovers I'd have here in the coming weeks.

Ended my day in London by heading back to the bus station, grabbing some dinner (my first fish n chips) and a brew.

I then boarded my bus and we hit the road. Man, the bus drive out of town was crazy. There was still lots of activity out on the streets. As our behemoth bus bashed its way through London traffic I thought back to the insane cab drivers on the streets of Cartagena and Panama City--they must have all went to the same driving school.

Other than our escape from the hustle and bustle of London, the rest of the night was fairly mellow--our bus was packed. We were awakened by a screaming lady who we picked up at 3am--she didn't know that since she didn't buy a ticket for her daughter, her daughter would be on her lap---she didn't like this. I don't think I got much sleep through the night.

The sun started coming up (yes, it's Friday June 20th! This is after leaving the States on Wed) when we arrived in Perth, Scotland. As soon as the sun was up it was pretty hopeless to go back to sleep--the towns and countryside were too neat to miss out on. The best parts were coming up: the Highland mountains (Druimachdar Pass for example). Before the pass, we passed through a cool looking village called Pitlochry--looked very old, and story-book like. Then passed over the River Garry. This is where I saw a fly fisherman--he was fishing wet flies deep in a pool. (I wish I had a camera!)

We were only an hour or two from Inverness.

No comments: