Sunday, June 29, 2008

Train Ride With A Scottish Lassie


My trip in Scotland ended in Glasgow, and I caught a train for London so I could be on my way to Barcelona. The trip was going to be about 6hrs. As I rushed away from our ghetto hotel, I made it to the train station and hopped the train.

I figured this would be a rather ho-hum trip and I'd probably catch a few winks. As I sat down I an older woman was at my seat talking to what I assumed was her daughter. She smiled and quickly got up and sat in the seat across the isle. A few minutes later, she skipped off the train because we were fixin' to head out.

I introduced myself to my seat mate. She was in Glasgow for college, and was heading to London for the summer to hang out and hopefully find a summer job. Her name was Kaliegh. It turns out that she was from northern Scotland (just a wee bit from Inverness).

She was totally cool and funny. We got to make fun of each other's accents and I got to pick her brain about all things Scottish. I told her I was half Scottish and half Native. She'd actually been to Calgary and Banff for a trip she took where she competed in a bagpipe competition. She talked about how she didn't like English accents and how the guys sound "feminine".

Once we got to the London train station, I helped her w/ her luggage--why do women pack so much!? I took her to a spot which would be visible for her boyfriend who was on her way to pick her up.

All in all, I didn't get any sleep that train ride, and I'm glad I didn't. I'll miss Scotland.

No comments: