Thursday, January 15, 2009

Crosscountry At White Pass


This past Sunday (1/11/09), Justin G. and I were Cascade-bound. We drove from the Tri-Cities up toward the mountains so we could get some cross-country/nordic skiing in. We ended up stopping in Naches, WA at the Little Red Schoolhouse to pick up some rental equipment. For a whole set-up it was only $10 (+$1 for insurance). This is the place I went to about 8-years ago to pick up my first rental, and its still as cool as ever. They had some used gear, but no boots in my size. I looked at skis for a little while, but I was too excited to get up into the mountians. Once we were equipped we headed up to White Pass. Our destination--the groomed Crosscountry Trails at White Pass.

Nice Cozy Yurt

Since were skiing between Thurs-Sun, we had to buy a Nordic Pass to use the trails. It was only $11 (so total for skiing was $22---not too bad). We then hit the trails. Once again, within seconds I determined I didn't know how to ski downhill---due to falling a few times. Once on the flats or on uphills, I was able to fly. That's generally how I am with sports---I may not be elegant or techinially-proficient, but when it comes to physical stuff, I am fine.

Ready To Go

For groomed trails, there is generally two tracks, with an open/free-style area in the middle. I did a little be of everything, but tried to do the freestyle more. I wasn't able to "skate" with my skis, but I was able to move alright. Crosscountry skiing is a laborius sport, and I was sweating within minutes! All in all, Justin and I tackled just about all the trails, and we did it within 1.5-2hrs (this was about 6.5-miles). We only had one casualty (other than falling tons of times on the downhills), and that was the loss of Justin's waterbottle.

Justin Makin' Tracks

Justin Tucked In For The Downhill

Once we finished our loop of the entire course, I still felt like a workout, so I opted for one more go-around. Justin hung out in the cozy Nordic Center yurt. I started off amitious and fast, but within a mile or so, I became pooped! I kept going. I ended up doing most of the loop we did earlier in the morning (except for the Dark Meadows Loop on top). Overall, I think I clocked in about 11-12 miles!

Felt very tired and fulfilled after the workout. Justin and I treated ourselves to some tasty brews and burgers in stinky Sunnyside at Snipes Mountain Brewery. It was a good day (and hopefully the start of many more while the snow is here!).

Justin also blogged about our day and provided some GPS stats and more pictures. His entry is here.

No comments: