Sunday, December 28, 2008

From Grandpa Yellow Fly

The Yellow Flys: My Grandma (Cecille), Grandpa (Percy), Chuckling Uncle (Sherman), and Mom (Sharon)

As a gift over the holidays, my mom surprised me with an heirloom of my grandfather, Percy Yellow Fly. My grandfaher became the first Band Manger for our tribe (Siksika Nation) and also served as Chief and a Councilman for many years. In 1981, he traveled to London with other Native Diplomats to meet with the Queen to discuss treaty rights. Gaa?s (this is how you say grandpa in Siksika...the "?" is a glottal stop---a throaty sound) was very involved with the community and did many things for our tribe. He passed in 2005 afer a long and proud life.

Roach With Attached Beaded Head Band

At some point in his life he was given a roach. A roach is something one wears on their head (generally a dancer). It is made of porcupine and horse hair. I have one and wear one when I Grass Dance. The roach my grandfather received was given to him many years ago, and it must be a very old item. He later gave it to my mother, and I was honored to receive this item as a gift this past Christmas.

Top Of Roach

It's a huge honor, but its also a big responsibility. I don't know whether I should seal it up and keep it stored in a closet somewhere, or whether to dance with it. I'm sure what I'm supposed to do will come to me.

1 comment:

Hard to Explain said...

It is great that you recieved grampa's roach. You deserve it. I really do miss the both of them.