Thursday, December 4, 2008

A Very Heated Evening

Right now it's 9:20pm and I'm sitting in an AC room here at Turtle Bay Resort on Oahu's North Shore. Usually the AC would be off, and my friend Jen Big Crow and I would have the patio door open listening to the waves crashing outside, BUT.......

After a full day of exploring the Windward side of Oahu, hanging out at Kailua beach for a few hours, and having some greasy shrimp truck food, I had the bright idea of going for a workout. It all started well. Ran for 13 min (that shoulda been an omen). Then did my usual exercises--pull-ups, ab jack knives, arm curls, etc. I ended my workout by doing some leg presses. Started out at about 200lbs, but for my fourth set, I did all the weight--about 400lbs.

I then walked outside, and Jen followed me shortly after. Within a few seconds, I started to feel bad (it was warmer outside than in the gym). It was dark outside, but still warm. I was able to walk a bit, but I was quickly becoming quezzy. Jen was very concerned and asked what she could do. I played "brave", and said I was ok, but then asked if we could sit down. We sat on a bench in the dark right above the water. Sitting down and breathing didn't seem to help. I began to get nauseated (wanted to puke!), tired, and was feeling out of it. At this point, I heard, "I'll be right back, Corey". I laid down on the bench...at some point I think I burped some grossness in my mouth **sorry for being graphic...I just don't want to forget this, and want to document**

The next symptom was the scariest. I sat up, opened my eyes, and I couldn't see anything!! I knew I was blinking, and I was looking toward lights, but I couldn't see anything. "Am I having a stroke, am I blacking out, will I need an ambulance", I thought to myself. I was freakin'! All of a sudden Ms. Big Crow (my hero!) showed up with a cup of cold water, and then put a cold-water-soaked towel on my neck. Within seconds my sight came back. I downed the water. I was slowly starting to feel better. Jen went and gave me another cold towel.

After a few minutes, I was back to a state where I felt I could move around again. I felt so dumb, old, weak--you name it. My body rarely fails me, but this night my "mortal-ness" was exposed.

Thanks to nurse Big Crow, and her quick thinking, I'm still here! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Corey! So glad I thought to look at your blog. Hope all is well soon. Will we see you back here ever or are you going to stay in paradise with the "nurse"?
I think I'd choose the nurse!

We love & miss you!
H & M