Thursday, August 7, 2008

Driving To Siksika Nation

Got on the road at 7:30 Mountain Time (6:30Pacific), and escaped the Tri-Cities with no issues. I was on my way in a rented Prius! I was totally stoked to be driving this vehicle. Gas-wise I would be saving a few hundred dollars with the ~2000 miles I'd be driving, so even w/ the rental fee, this turned out to be a good deal---besides, I can see if I want to get one of these things! :)

Have been excited for this trip. It was sort of last minute, but I'm glad I was able to finagle a trip up---it had been almost 3 years since I'd last been up (I know, shame, shame!). It's funny, but the reason why I took this trip this particular week was not because of our tribe's big pow wow (Siksika Fair)---it was because there was no salsa class! Jeez, I'm a nerd. I plan my life around salsa! Could be worse, eh?

Well, my iPod was connected and I was in for a 11-12hr drive. No major issues for the drive up to the border. Once at the border, there was a line. The wait ended up being around 30min. Wasn't too bad, cuz I just coasted in my Prius---some Harley riders awkwardly tried rolling their bikes (to save gas I assume).

Once past the border, made it to Cranbrook for a bite to eat at A&W. Fries 'n gravy, baby!! Ah yes, I am now in Canada! :) Thought of stopping here for my first gas fill-up of the day, but I had a 1/4-tank left. So I decided to press on to the city of Fernie in the Rockies. I ended up getting there w/ no problems (so that was about 430miles on my first tank of gas!!). Crazy! I filled up (only about 8-9 gallons!!), and then continued on....

**well, I had to stop at Tim Horton's for an ice cappuccino (lame) & a long john donut (yummy).**

Made it through the Rockies, Peigan Reserve, and Fort MacCleod, and then I started getting tired. So, I ended up pulling over at a rest stop. It was a nice area along the Little Bow River. I ended up walking around, taking pictures, doing jumping jacks, and dancing the Running Man (just kidding!). This ended up doing the trick, and I was able to drive the last 90 min back to Siksika with no issues.

Tiff, Trudy, and 10 were at the Indigenous Games in Victoria. Hung out w/ my uncle Sherman, and chilled for the rest of the night.

Made it!

Little Bow River

No comments: