Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Crowfoot & Blackfoot Crossing Monuments

Blackfoot Crossing Monument

On my last day in Siksika, I tried to cram as much as I could into my last day. Something I wanted to do was head back toward Blackfoot Crossing (site of where Treaty 7 was signed & where the new Blackfoot Crossing Historical Park is). I wanted to visit some of the monuments for the signing of Treaty Seven as well as see some of the monuments related to one of our great chiefs, Chief Crowfoot.

In this area are several monuments/memorials. All of these monuments are situated upon the ridge overseeing the Bow River Valley and the spot where Treaty Seven was signed, Blackfoot Crossing. The first place I visited was the Crowfoot memorial. From the Crowfoot Memorial, one can see the "tipi top" of the Blackfoot Crossing Historical Park.

View from Crowfoot Memorial With BCHP In The Distance

The next monument I visited was the site of Chief Crowfoots last tipi campsite. This monument has a plaque and one can see the tipi ring (circular rock formation) of Chief Crowfoot's tipi.

Rocks Left At Crowfoot Tipi Monument


Blackfoot Crossing Monument Plaque

The road out to Blackfoot Crossing is named the One Gun Trail. Chief One Gun was another important Siksika Chief.

No comments: