Friday, February 1, 2008

Relaxing Day In Cartagena


On this day we had no tours planned. So, we played it by ear. Today, as with most of the days during this trip, I woke up early excited for what the day had in store. Today I was up before sunset, and I wanted to get out and use this stellar light to grab some awesome pictures. So, I cleaned up, and headed out. One of the first things I wanted to take a picture of was the Monumento de la India Catalina. Managed to get to the monument just as the sun was peaking out over Cerro La Popa.



After snapping a few pictures here, I walked along the nearby street and checked out the street vendors who were set up. I had no idea what some of them were selling, but some of it looked good. Dang, I wish I knew more Spanish!!!

Made another trip to Bocagrande via taxi. Shopped around a little and then checked out the nearby beach. Cartagena isn't noted as having the best beaches, but these Bocagrande beaches were decent. The only thing I didn't like were all the vendors. I only had my shorts and a t-shirt, but these vendors still hounded me to buy stuff. I mean what was I supposed to buy their stuff with?? My way of evading the vendors was to stay out in the water...well, actually one vendor followed me out into the water to sell me some maracas.

Bocagrande beach

After hanging out at the beach, Ang and I parted ways, and she hung out in Bocagrande and I opted to walk back to teh Walled City along the beach. During the walk home I walked along the shore adjacent to the Walled City. Around here I was lucky to catch a group of guys as they were pulling in a fishing net. A small crowd gathered as they pulled in their haul.



Hauling in Fish


Once again, I took another lap around the Wall and captured many more pictures. This city is so easy to photograph.








This particular evening I decided to check out some of Cartagena's nightlife. Ended up hitting some bars along the water in the Getsemani neighborhood. Hung out at a "German bar". It was a very odd mix, but they had some nice german hefeweisse beer. Later hit a club near our hotel in the Plaza de los Coches. They were touting the club as a Carnival party. It was alright. Man, I wish I knew how to dance cumbia! I love the music, but I didn't have the basic moves yet. Next time I'm in Colombia I'll be more prepared.


No comments: